What is a BEMS engineer?
As you may have guessed by now, Intech Controls is a Sussex-based innovative building technology provider, focused around delivering Building Energy Management Systems (BEMS). BEMS is a computerised system installed in commercial and industrial buildings which monitors heating, ventilation, lighting and water.
A Building Energy Management System (BEMS) Engineer is a professional engineer who traditionally would be called to fix or service BEMS. These days, a more pro-active, strategic approach is adopted to reduce energy consumption and associated costs, prolong the life of plant and ensure optimum occupancy comfort as outlined below. All our BEMS engineers are rigorously trained and have exceptional knowledge in Trend, Niagara, Distech and Tridium.
You may sometimes see BEMS referred to as BMS. Basically, it’s the same thing, however, as energy has come into the forefront of everyone’s minds, BEMS systems are heavily focused on energy reduction and therefore include enhanced energy dashboards which display essential energy information clearly, so you can easily measure. BMS engineers may also be called Building Automation Engineer (BAS) or Heating Controls Engineers (HCE).
There many important elements to the BEMS engineers job role and all BEMS providers differ, however, we are proud of our analytical expertise and superior customer service:
- They connect all plant (where possible) to a BEMS so that it can be measured. “If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it.”
- They write strategies with clear graphics to control all plant in order that the plant can be optimised to reach its full potential, shutting down when the building is empty and keep the building temperature comfortable for occupants when the building is occupied
- They help clients measure and improve their energy efficiency, looking for improvements where possible.
- Where there are office refits or new plant installed, controls are be optimised to reduce possible energy wastage
- They upgrade old systems to new systems, for example Trend 963 is being discontinued, so BEMS engineers update these systems with IQ Vision which can talk to all BEMS brands including Siemens, Distech, Schneider and more
- Set customers up with remote access which means BEMS can be optimised online which often saves the costs of an engineer going out on site
- Last but by no means least, Intech is renowned for its outstanding customer service and attention to detail, therefore, part of our BEMS engineers job role is continuous training to ensure our team proactively surpasses customer expectations.
If you would like to find out more about how BEMS engineers can help your business, please call Intech on 01403 288195 or use our contact form.